Monday, December 3, 2012

Champlain blog post 12

Well, it's time to get transferred to a new team soon. There are a couple I want to work with such as Eeb and Flo, Magnosphere, and maybe Mageball. I just hope I did enough advertising of myself to get noticed by the team. All of the teams have at least one member that knows me well so my odds are increased a bit.

The only main thing I have worry about now is the final core paper I have to do. it's not due for another two weeks or so and I'm going to start on it tonight and work my way towards the finish. It's mainly me talking about how the game I worked on came to be and what are my final thoughts on it. Why did not pass? What could we have done differently? What worked and what didn't. Things like that.

I'll answer some of those questions below:

1. The genesis of the idea for the game: To create a classic horror game that was more geared towards scaring the players with atmosphere and sounds rather then violence and blood.

2. What your game’s genesis taught you about how game concepts originate: That it takes more then just one idea to fuel a concept. There are more steps and factors that have to be thought out before it can even begin.

3. How your game would be received by your target audience: When we tested the game, a lot of people were pleased by how it was more focused on scaring the player and the way we made it caused survival horror fans to compare it to other such games such as Slender.

4. What your game’s arguable appeal suggests about the values at the core of
successful games: That is the little things that need to play out with the overall look that make it stand out from other games.

5. What your work in developing your game’s mechanics and systems has taught
you about this important facet of game development: Simplicity is something that works wonders because it can do so much. We realized that complex mechanics were hindering us so we went with something geared towards simple ideas and concepts. It worked.

6. What the arc of your game’s development has taught you about the nature of
conceptual development and the challenges of collaborative work: That the scope has to start of small in the very beginning. Our biggest weakness is that we started this project thinking too big and it caused us to have to lower our scope late in the game. Designers have to plan out their games as small as possible and then make it grow over time.

There will be more in my finished work, but for now this is just a taste of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment